Jordan

Jordan

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jordan, Part II

It's that time again. Despite my experience last summer, and my firm decision on those last difficult days in Jordan to never return, I've arrived safely in Cairo, Egypt for a week long vacation before my summer program begins at Yarmouk University in Irbid, Jordan.

Along with a few of my fellow classmates, we have decided to do things differently this year. For me, that means forcing myself to experience as much of Arab culture in Jordan as possible; it will be my goal to make myself uncomfortable by using as little English in country as possible. It's really the only practical way to do things. If I've decided to learn this language, as I have, then I must capitalize on the opportunity that has been given to me. Pure and simple. I won't make any promises that you won't hear me bitch and complain, I'll only say that I hope it's apparent in my posts throughout the summer that I am happy to be learning.

People sometimes ask, "Why Arabic?" and I think this may be a good place for me to answer that questions, once and for all. This was never in the plan, that's what I should make clear right up front. I have no personal connection to the Middle East or it's people or the language they speak. I couldn't have told you what Arabic even looked like four years ago. It's not the best story, and I could probably exaggerate to make it sound more epic, but I really just happened upon my decision to study one the hardest languages in the world. As a sophomore liberal arts major without any language credit, it was between the most popular language at Ole Miss, Spanish, or Arabic as part of the first program at Ole Miss funded through the new Center for Intelligence and Security Studies. For me the choice was easy, I wanted a challenge. And here I am, three long years later, in the Middle East for the second time. I'm as shocked as anyone, to be honest. It's been a long journey and I know it is just getting started, but I am determined to reach some sort of fluency in this language as soon as possible.

My travel experience on the way over went off without a hitch, and I arrived in Cairo around 3:00 p.m. local time yesterday. As a reminder for those who want to contact me, or those of you that I want to contact, we are 8 hours ahead here so let's try and plan accordingly. My friend and classmate back at Ole Miss, Amina, is hosting me in the city. She has lived here all her life, attending the American school where her mom teaches and directs the aquatics program. Amina is helping her coach this summer, and I actually joined them at the pool today to help Amina's friend out with the kid's program. I even got a few laps in after that, which was really nice.

I am staying in a family apartment and it is so nice! Air conditioning, hot water, kitchen, all the amenities I might need. I couldn't imagine a better set-up for my short time here in Cairo. Over lunch today, I think Amina and I will discuss my options in terms of seeing all that I can in the next few days. On the list right now: Giza and the pyramids; Felucca ride on the Nile; Tahrir Square and the Cairo Museum; The Cairo Jazz Club; The Citadel; shopping in one of the famous bazaars (markets); and visiting 26th of July Street (because that's my birthday). All of this is subject to change and who knows how much I will get done. For now, though, I am happy and contempt to be experiencing Cairo from a native's perspective.

I miss everyone already and will keep you updated as much as possible.

Salaam,
-Skander

No comments:

Post a Comment